Making FabLab Devon a valuable resource
Devon County Council has opened the first of a network of modern fabrication spaces: ‘FabLab Devon’, at Exeter Library and plans are in place to expand the service.
Fab Labs exist in other parts of the UK and worldwide, but they are a relatively new concept. Schools, colleges and businesses are the target audience, but they are not fully aware of the space or how they might use it. A marketing campaign was therefore required to promote FabLab Devon and generate use of its facilities and workshops.
- It was agreed with the client that the campaign would focus on schools, creating opportunities for young people to get to know and use the FabLab first, and then have this filter through to adults
- We developed a campaign strategy that included a schools competition, eDM and print mailshot pieces, film and promotion via social media channels
- We created highly engaging school competition packs for primary and secondary school children throughout Devon, asking them to put forward their designs for an item to be created in the Fab Lab – for which over 400 entries were received
- Once the winners had been selected, we produced a series of films documenting the creation of their designs in the FabLab, working with professional artists and manufacturers – these films were then used to generate further awareness across social media
- In parallel to the schools competition, we developed a social media and DM campaign targeting business and highlighting the commercial opportunities the FabLab presents – again using case study films featuring manufacturers discussing the benefits to their business
- Both the schools and business campaigns were a huge success, generating an exceptional level of response and driving footfall to the FabLab